Jones Hall; Building for special events featuring an auditorium and performance spaces dedicated to Wesley Norwood and Sallie Bailey Jones

Item

Legacies Classification
Memorial Structure
Memorial Type
Named Building
Memorial Context
Memorialized Subject
Jones, Sallie Bailey ( Wife of Wesley Norwood Jones and a Board of Trustees member)
Jones, Wesley Norwood
Title
Jones Hall; Building for special events featuring an auditorium and performance spaces dedicated to Wesley Norwood and Sallie Bailey Jones
Background and Context
As described in the campus archives' building history, "When the Meredith College campus moved from its original downtown location in 1926, funds existed only for six permanent buildings that would provide for administration offices, a library, dorm space, an infirmary and a dining hall. All other activities were housed in “temporary” buildings, Following the Great Depression and a 1944 fund-raising campaign, plans were in place for additional buildings, including an auditorium, but with a shortage of building materials, the projects were postponed.

Finally after 2 more fund-raising campaigns and an authorization by the Convention to borrow the remaining funds, as well as alumnae donations that paid for 1044 seats, Jones Hall was dedicated on September 27, 1949, as part of Meredith College’s fiftieth anniversary celebrations.

Jones Hall was named for husband and wife trustees, Wesley Norwood Jones and Sallie Bailey Jones." W. N. Jones took an active role in North Carolina state politics in support of African American disfranchisement and white supremacy. He was also a vice president for Josephus Daniel's newspaper, the News & Observer, which served as the leading mouthpiece for white supremacy in early twentieth century North Carolina.

"The hall houses a large auditorium on the main floor, a smaller auditorium downstairs, piano and organ practice rooms, eight studios, offices, a music library, listening room, recording studio, and five classrooms to be used for speech and drama classes. The auditorium also served as a campus chapel, during a time when religious services were mandatory for students."
Physical Description
Large building with an exterior that is of tapestry brick and with a facade that is comprised primarily of stone.
Creator/Participating Person(s)
Date created, installed or dedicated
27 September 1949
Funded by
Meredith College alumnae and Baptist benefactors
Location: Institution, City, State
Learn More About this Subject
Site pages

Position: 187 (18 views)

Related Items