Otey Hall; classroom building dedicated to James Hervey Otey


Legacies Classification
Memorial Structure
Memorial Type
Named Building
Memorial Context
Memorialized Subject
Otey Hall; classroom building dedicated to James Hervey Otey
Background and Context
Otey Hall, named for James Hervey Otey (1800-1863), stood in front of where Walsh-Ellett Hall is today. This was the first University building, built in 1866 for a Diocesan Theological Training School. Owned by the Diocese of Tennessee, its bishop, Charles Quintard gave it to the University in April 1867 to house its "Theological Department," but that division of the University took another ten years to be developed. In the meantime, various white families important to the University's early history occupied Otey Hall while their own houses were being constructed, including the Fairbankses, Greens, Seviers, and McCradys. Otey Hall burned to the ground in 1881.
Physical Description
A simple wood frame building of one and one-half stories, containing seven rooms and a kitchen.
Creator/Participating Person(s)
Date created, installed or dedicated
Date Modified
Location: Institution, City, State
Site pages

Position: 81 (22 views)